This tutorial, generously provided by Gianfranco (M0HHE/IZ1GLQ), specifically uses the RT3 / MD380 DMR radio but the information herein should be transferable to other DMR radios.
The RT3 / MD380 is the best-selling DMR radio among HAM Radio licensees. Mainly because it’s very rugged, has pretty good tech specs and it’s cheap. Also, the firmware update process has been ‘hacked’ by Travis Goodspeed KK4VCZ and now it’s possible to build modified (with incredible extra features) in the radio software.
The radio itself is sold in UHF and VHF version, with or without GPS. This guide applies to all version both with standard or modified firmware.
Before you can use your DMR radio with APRs, there is some preparation work that must be performed.
- Register and login to https://brandmeister.network
- Under Profile->SelfCare set the parameters as in the following picture, specifying your callsign and an APRS SSID to associate to your DMR radio
- Tune your radio to a DMR repeater on Brandmeister
Find your GPS destionation
As of March 1st, 2019, BrandMeister phased out the GPS destination 5057. To determine the appropriate destination to use, use the first 3 digits of the BrandMeiseter master server your repeater or hotspot is connected to. You should select the server in your country or the one closest to your location.
For Example, in the United States, if you’re connecting to 3103, use destination 310999. In Canada, you would use 302999.
Send a Message
- Menu -> Messages -> Write
- Here begin your message with the APRS destination SMSGTE or SMSGTE-<ssid>
- Send the message to the GPS destination (DMR to APRS message gateway) for your nearest BrandMeister Master Server (ex. 310999).
- You should receive the ACK message from SMSGTE gateway
- Your contact will receive the SMS message on his/her phone
Receiving a Message
As long as Brandmeister network has heard your rig recently, there is nothing you have to do. Your DMR radio will simply ring and show you the message.