This tutorial, generously provided by Gianfranco (M0HHE/IZ1GLQ), specifically uses the RT3 / MD380 DMR radio but the information herein should be transferable to other DMR radios.
The RT3 / MD380 is the best-selling DMR radio among HAM Radio licensees. Mainly because it’s very rugged, has pretty good tech specs and it’s cheap. Also, the firmware update process has been ‘hacked’ by Travis Goodspeed KK4VCZ and now it’s possible to build modified (with incredible extra features) in the radio software.
The radio itself is sold in UHF and VHF version, with or without GPS. This guide applies to all version both with standard or modified firmware.
Before you can use your DMR radio with APRs, there is some preparation work that must be performed.
- Register and login to https://brandmeister.network
- Under Profile->SelfCare set the parameters as in the following picture, specifying your callsign and an APRS SSID to associate to your DMR radio
- Tune your radio to a DMR repeater on Brandmeister
Send a Message
- Menu -> Messages -> Write
- Here begin your message with the APRS destination SMSGTE or SMSGTE-<ssid>
- Send the message to contact 5057 (DMR to APRS message gateway)
- You should receive the ACK message from SMSGTE gateway
- Your contact will receive the SMS message on his/her phone
Receiving a Message
As long as Brandmeister network has heard your rig recently, there is nothing you have to do. Your DMR radio will simply ring and show you the message.